[BioC] Querying dbSNP

Vincent Carey stvjc at channing.harvard.edu
Tue Oct 20 13:12:08 CEST 2009

if you add a function like this to your workspace, you can query on rs
number for some of the items you mention.  other retrieval approaches
could be based on NCBI eutils.

qsnp <- function (rsid, attrs = c("chr_name", "chrom_start", "allele",
    "associated_variant_risk_allele", "risk_allele_freq_in_controls",
    "allele_1", "associated_gene", "phenotype_description", "validated",
    "ensembl_peptide_shift"))
{
    if (!exists(".HSmart"))
        .HSmart <<- useMart(biomart = "snp", dataset = "hsapiens_snp")
    getBM(mart = .HSmart, filters = "refsnp", value = rsid, attributes = attrs)
}

> qsnp("rs13087941")
  chr_name chrom_start allele associated_variant_risk_allele
1        3     8787220    T/C                             NA
2        3     8787220    T/C                             NA
  risk_allele_freq_in_controls allele_1 associated_gene phenotype_description
1                           NA        C              NA                    NA
2                           NA        C              NA                    NA
                      validated ensembl_peptide_shift
1 cluster,freq,doublehit,hapmap                    NA
2 cluster,freq,doublehit,hapmap                 FALSE

be prepared for certain ambiguities to crop up

> qsnp("rs10000")
  chr_name chrom_start allele associated_variant_risk_allele
1        7     6013153    T/C                             NA
2        7     6013153    T/C                             NA
3        7     6790900    T/C                             NA
  risk_allele_freq_in_controls allele_1 associated_gene phenotype_description
1                           NA       NA              NA                    NA
2                           NA       NA              NA                    NA
3                           NA       NA              NA                    NA
     validated ensembl_peptide_shift
1 cluster,freq
2 cluster,freq                     L
3 cluster,freq