[BioC] reverse complement or no reverse complemnt on biomaRt / biomart.org

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Wed Oct 14 15:47:42 CEST 2009

Tefina Paloma wrote:
> Hi,
>

> So, regardless if the gene is on the forward or on the reverse strand, the
> "start coordinates" for any kind of sequence are always lower than the "end
> coordinates".
> e.g. for Gene ENSG00000150630, Transcript ENST00000280193 and Exon
> ENSE00001153189
> Start: 177,713,319
> End: 177,713,895
>
> So, if the gene is on the reverse strand, the sequence actually goes from the
> "end coordinates" to the "start coordinates".
>
> Am I right?

Yes. For instance, the six exons for VEGFC have the following coordinates:

EXON CHRO STRAND  START    END
1     4   -  177713319 177713895
2     4   -  177650687 177650900
3     4   -  177648932 177649122
4     4   -  177632653 177632804
5     4   -  177608975 177609081
6     4   -  177608341 177608674

Since we are on the reverse strand, the coordinates for each exon are to
the left of the preceding exon (assuming conventional orientation of the
chromosome, a la UCSC genome browser). Since the gene transcription
moves from right to left for this gene, by definition the end coordinate
of an exon is really the start of the sequence for that exon, and the
start coordinate is really the end of the sequence for that exon.

In other words, base coordinates are always counted on the forward
strand, regardless of the strand the gene is on.

Best,

Jim

> Thanks a lot for all your help,
>
> Tefina