[BioC] computersize

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Tue Oct 13 16:34:46 CEST 2009

Hi Skov,

Vibe Henriette Skov wrote:
> Dear Bioconductor-mailing list
>
> Hope you can help me. I am using R for windows to analyze my 107
> HGU133Plus2.0 chips, however, R chrash when I try to use ReadAffy(). I
> want to buy a computer that can handle all these arrays, do you know how
> big a computer I need to buy?

For something like that I think a 64 bit Linux box (or Mac OSX) with 16
Gb RAM should be more than enough. You might even be able to get away
with 8 Gb RAM, but the price for RAM has gone down so much that 16 Gb
isn't exorbitant any longer.

Note that there are ways to analyze these data that don't involve using
the affy package (that would not require getting a new computer). You
could use the xps package, or you could go outside BioC and use
RMAexpress or aroma.affymetrix.

Best,

Jim

> Best,