[BioC] problem with justRMA in 2.10.0

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Mon Nov 9 20:24:25 CET 2009

Joseph Dougherty wrote:
>  > sessionInfo()
> R version 2.10.0 (2009-10-26)
> x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
>
> locale:
>  [1] LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NUMERIC=C
>  [3] LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8        LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8
>  [5] LC_MONETARY=C              LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
>  [7] LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NAME=C
>  [9] LC_ADDRESS=C               LC_TELEPHONE=C
> [11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C
>
> attached base packages:
>
> other attached packages:
> [1] gcrma_2.18.0  affy_1.24.1   Biobase_2.6.0

> [1] affyio_1.14.0        Biostrings_2.14.2    IRanges_1.4.4
> [4] preprocessCore_1.8.0 splines_2.10.0       tools_2
>
> The only difference I see is we don't have the patched R 2.10.0.  Is
> that the dev version?

No, the dev version is R-devel. R-patched is what will be released as
R-2.10.1 in a month or so.

So it looks like there isn't a mis-matched package here. As of BioC 2.5
we now add scan date information to the AffyBatch, so there are actually
two AnnotatedDataFrames being produced. I am betting that the problem is
arising when the scan data are put into an AnnotateDataFrame.

What do you get if you run the following two functions in the directory
that contain your celfiles?

fakePheno <- function(){
filenames <- list.celfiles()
samplenames <- sub("^/?([^/]*/)*", "", filenames)
         pdata <- data.frame(sample = seq_len(length(filenames)),
row.names = samplenames)
         phenoData <- new("AnnotatedDataFrame", data = pdata,
             varMetadata = data.frame(labelDescription = "arbitrary
numbering",
                 row.names = "sample"))
pData(phenoData)
}

fakeScan <- function(){
filenames <- list.celfiles()
scandates <- sapply(seq_len(length(filenames)), function(x) {
sdate <- affyio:::read.celfile.header(filenames[x], info =
"full")[["ScanDate"]]
if(is.null(sdate))
NA_character_
else