[BioC] expression set and paired designs

David martin vilanew at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 10:50:03 CET 2009

I have modified my pData.txt so that it looks like that:

Sample  Group celltype
sample1        moderate_disease celltype1
sample2        moderate_disease celltype2
sample3        severe_disease celltype1
sample4        severe_disease celltype2
sample5        normal	 celltype1
sample6        normal	 celltype2

following your suggestions:
My block factor is the Group created as follow:

#
#Creates design combinations
#Got it from the forum. Very helpfull
design.list <- function(phenotype,cond)
   {
n <- length(phenotype)
k = length(cond)
design <- matrix(1,1,(n))
for (i in 1:k)
   {
     #print(paste("Reading:",i))
     ind = (which(phenotype == cond[i]))
     design[,ind] = i

   }
design
   }

conditions=factor(c(design.list(phenotype$Group,groups)),labels=c("normal","moderate","severe"))
celltypes=factor(c(design.list(phenotype$Celltype,celltype)),labels=c("celltype1","celltype2"))

data<- exprs(mydata.eset)
fit<- manova(data ~ conditions * celltypes)
Error in model.frame.default(formula = data ~ conditions * celltype,
drop.unused.levels = TRUE) :
   variable lengths differ (found for 'conditions')

Since i have different levels i can't compute the manova. Can you help
me on that ?

The main question being, what is the effect of each celltype on disease
and what is the effect of both celltypes on disease progression.

The first question can be resolved using classical anova but what about
the seconf with two variables (celltype1 and celltype2)

thanks again for all the help i'm getting,