[BioC] flow cytometry data

Nolwenn Le Meur nlemeur at irisa.fr
Thu Dec 3 14:13:48 CET 2009

The usual choices for non-parametric location tests are the Mann–Whitney
U test for independent samples, and the binomial test or the Wilcoxon
signed-rank test for paired samples.
The test depends on your sample see
http://www.graphpad.com/www/Book/Choose.htm

Have a look at the multtest package on Bioconductor and the mt.teststat
function. It might help you.

Nolwenn

David martin wrote:
> Sorry to ask but what are the tests ??
>

> Nolwenn Le Meur wrote:
>> David martin wrote:
>>>
>>> I have tested different cell surface markers on a sub population of
>>> monocytes. The matrix below shows a small snapshot of the different
>>> cell surface markers tested (cdA,cdB,cdC..) in different monocytes
>>> of patients that are either normal patients or treated patients.
>>> The values are the geomtrical mean obtained from the flow. They are
>>> log10 values.
>>> The question here is to identify markers differentually expressed in
>>> the monocytes subpopulation between normal patients and control
>>> patients.
>>>
>>> marker normal normal treated treated
>>> cdA -5.27 1.48 -1.28 -1.01
>>> cdB -5.31 -1.89 9.31 1.01
>>> cdC 4.12 8.1 8.16 3.6
>>> cdE 30.44 11.59 3.39 14.64
>>> CD11c 5.36 -1.48 -5.7 -4.44
>>>

>>> Do i hve to normalize the data first ? I though this was already
>>> done by the instrument ? i might be wrong. Any idea ?
>> I do not think you should normalize your data at that point.
>> If any normalization would be required I think that it should be done
>> on the raw data to correct for some bias identify by quality
>> assessment analysis.
>>
>> Here you should have a look at the distribution of your data to
>> choose between a parametric or non-parametric test (many you can find
>> in R or BioC).
>>
>> Nolwenn

>>> Search the archives:

> Search the archives:

Nolwenn Le Meur, PhD
IRSET - Institut de Recherche en Sante-Environnement-Travail.
INSERM/IRISA - Equipes INTEREST/Symbiose

Universite de Rennes I
Campus de Beaulieu
35042 Rennes cedex - France
Phone: +33 2 99 84 71 17