[BioC] what is the best baseline transformation method before clustering

Ruppert Valentino ruppert7 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 16 13:42:57 CEST 2008

Hello,

I tried to cluster data from Affy U133A by normalising with gcrma then zscoring but I am get different values and results from when using the Eisen Cluster 3.0 software and other commercial software. I am wondering what is the best way to baseline transform the data after normalisation show the most variable data in the set that can be used to show the relationship in clustering.

In Genespring they use baseling transformation as follows :

Baseline to median of all samples: For each probe the median of the log summarized values from all the samples is calculated and subtracted from each of the samples.

In Cluster 3.0

It is recommended to log transform the data and mean or median centre the genes to transform the data.

What is the best way to go about base transforming (e.g. scaling, mean centering) the data in biocondcutor before clustering them?

Thanks

Ruppert.