[BioC] Running R without X11?

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Sat Sep 6 11:55:55 CEST 2008

On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 2:12 AM, ALok <foralok at gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem you mentioned
>
>  unable to load shared library
> '/usr/local/lib/R/library/tcltk/libs/tcltk.so':
>
> One option is to install R by using tar package.
> to  configure R in share library mode
> you can use the option
> ../configure --enable-R-shlib
> This will allow you to share the R library

Alok,

The --enable-R-shlib will compile the R library as a shared library so
that it can be included in other programs.  However, it does not
affect library building for R, so reconfiguring will not improve
matters.  In other words, R uses shared libraries with foreign
language packages (C, Fortran code), which is what the error message
is implying is a problem.  In additino, R can be a shared library
itself for other programs, and the -enable-R-shlib enables this.

Sean