[BioC] limmaGUI: target file and spot file

J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
Wed Jul 30 12:18:23 CEST 2008

I used limmaGUI in teh past, and whenever I had problems similar to
the one described here I could trace the problem back to either
wrongly typed file names in the Targets file (or in the wrong folder)
or wrong column names in teh files (at least wrong in teh sense that
teh defaults didn't correspond to what I had on my files). You only
need one file to be problematic to get the error. So I'd say you
shoudl recheck that the names are all good (a space after a file name
can be a problem, so make sure you check well) and then that the
column names in all teh files are what's expected.

I'd agree with Mark... try to use limma to read your files. It may
seem difficult at first, compared to limmaGUI, but it really isn't
when you look at it (check the user's guide) and it's a lot faster
when you're testing whether your files are correct etc.

Jose

Quoting Mark Cowley <m.cowley at garvan.org.au>:

> Hi Jamila,
> I noticed that you have not yet received a response.
> Generally, if limmaGUI is having a hard time importing your files, then
> limma itself will also have a hard time. I'd recommend that you read
> the limma users guide (type limmaUserGuide() to bring this pdf up) and
> get to a point where you can at least import your data using the
> non-GUI version.
> If you then still don't feel comfortable using limma itself, then you
> should be able to proceed again using limmaGUI, but this time with the
> correct targets (and spot types) file.
>
> If you still need help, then please post back to the list with more
> information, particularly the spot types file that you are currently
> using
>
> mark
> Mark Cowley, BSc (Bioinformatics)(Hons)
>
> Peter Wills Bioinformatics Centre
> Garvan Institute of Medical Research, Sydney, Australia
>
> On 25/07/2008, at 8:08 PM, Jamila Bernardi wrote:
>

>> Dear all,
>> I'm working with the interface limmaGUI using data from two-colors
>> spotted arrays generated by GenePix scanner.
>> I have two basic problems regarding  the input data:
>> 1) after giving  gal file and target file and after background
>> correction the software doesn't proceed to analysis and it sends
>> this message "limmaGUI was unable to read the image processing
>> files listed in the targets file". I have this problem with recent
>> data, but with previous data the package worked. Why?I have changed
>>  nothing in the procedure (analysis of images and exporting txt
>> file).
>> 2) the package doesn't read my spot file, I ask some help to
>> prepare correctly this type of input file.
>> Thanks to everybody.
>> Jam
>>

>>     Posta, news, sport, oroscopo: tutto in una sola pagina.
>> Crea l&#39;home page che piace a te!
>> www.yahoo.it/latuapagina

> Search the archives:

Dr. Jose I. de las Heras                      Email: J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
The Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology    Phone: +44 (0)131 6513374
Institute for Cell & Molecular Biology        Fax:   +44 (0)131 6507360
Swann Building, Mayfield Road
University of Edinburgh
Edinburgh EH9 3JR
UK

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.