[BioC] Number or probes per target. Nimblegen arrays.

J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
Mon Jul 28 11:52:29 CEST 2008

Hi everyone,

not especifically a BioC question this time... but I am hoping to use
the collective experience regarding a particular array design.

We're considering using human expression arrays from Nimblegen.
Essentially, we're not sure which format to go for:

1) 6-20 60-mers per target
2) 2-7 60-mers per target

The design #2 uses less probes per target, allowing to have 4 times a
72k array on one slide (which can be hybridised with separate
samples), rather than 1 time a 385k array. So it's a smaller array but
being able to hyb 4 samples in one array reduces costs quite a bit...
so it's attractive, and my feeling is that it shouldn't be too
problematic to reduce teh number of probes per gene to this level...
but it's just a "feeling", having little experience on this type of
arrays.

Any thoughts about this?

Jose

--
Dr. Jose I. de las Heras                      Email: J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
The Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology    Phone: +44 (0)131 6513374

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.