[BioC] illumina annotation packages vs. bgx manifests

Pan Du dupan at northwestern.edu
Wed Jul 23 17:08:49 CEST 2008

Hi Michal,

The Illumina identifiers are always a confused issue. It completely changed
from version 1 to version 2 for Human and Mouse expression chips. Also it
has different types of identifiers. In order to simplify the issue, we have
created the Illumina ID mapping packages lumiHumanIDMapping.db and
lumiMouseIDMapping.db for Human and Mouse, respectively. (We will create the
Rat ID mapping package very soon.) These packages basically include all
types of identifiers included in previously released Illumina manifest files
of expression chips. There is "getChipInfo" and related functions in lumi
package (developing version) for ID conversion and retrieve chip
information. Please check the IlluminaAnnotation.pdf (More details will be
added to the vignette very soon) at
http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/2.3/bioc/html/lumi.html

I will have a Lab session talking about Illumina ID mapping and annotation
at Bioc2008 next week. You can find more detailed information after the
meeting (or at the meeting if you attend the Bio2008). Thanks.

Pan