[BioC] Gostats with Yeast annotation

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Tue Jul 22 19:07:39 CEST 2008

Hi Alex,
   If you are willing to use R-devel and Bioc-devel, the issue should be
fixed there.  I would be interested in hearing of any problems you might
have (or successes) using that version.  I am waiting for some reports
of success before I port this to release,

best wishes
   Robert

Alex Gutteridge wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to use the hyperGTest method from the GOstats package
> with some yeast ORF data. I notice in this thread from a month or so ago
> that there are problems at the moment with using any of the yeast
> annotation sets apart from 'YEAST' (which is deprecated) due to missing
> ID2EntrezID methods:
>
> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioconductor/2008-June/022697.html
>
> I just wanted to make sure that this was still the case and I guess fish
> around for an estimated ETA for when the org.Sc.sgd.db annotations
> (which are replacing YEAST as I understand it) will be compatible with
> hyperGTest?
>
> Also, is the exact source of GO annotations used in these packages
> documented anywhere? Looking in the DESCRIPTION file I see 'primarily
> based on mapping using ORF identifiers from SGD' for org.Sc.sgd.db and
> 'assembled using data from public data repositories' for YEAST. Should I
> just take it these are based on the SGD GO annotation file from the date
> given in the Packaged field of the DESCRIPTION file? For YEAST there is

the man page is pretty explicit, (?org.Sc.sgdGO)

      Mappings were based on data provided by: Yeast Genome (
      ftp://genome-ftp.stanford.edu/pub/yeast/data_download ) on
      2008-Mar29

  I am not sure what more we could put there.

best wishes
   Robert

> also a Created field which is aprox. 1 month prior to the Packaged date
> so I'm guessing the real age of the data is that one? The yeast
> annotations change so quickly it's useful to be able to pin this down as
> accurately as possible.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help with these questions.
>
> Alex Gutteridge
>
> Department of Biochemistry
> University of Cambridge

> Search the archives: