[BioC] arrayQualityMetrics

audrey audrey at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Jul 15 13:23:38 CEST 2008

Hi Steve,

1) The absence of background intensity will not have any hidden effect
on the report. The only plot of the report that would make use of the
background intensity is the spatial distribution, to see spatial
effects. If you have R, G, Rb and Gb, each of them will be represented
(4 spatial plots per array) and if only R and G are available, only 2
spatial plots will be represented per array. There is no processing
within the arrayQualityMetrics function. If you want to subtract
background or normalise your data, you need to do it before (using limma
for instance).

2) The RIN column is not needed in the phenoData, it was just an
example. Another example would be, if you have a factor of interest,
like treatment/control you can define a column in your phenoData with
this information and then, when you call arrayQualityMetrics you can set
the argument intgroup (which stands for interesting group) equal to the
name of the column containing the treatment/control information. This
will draw a colour side bar to your heatmap.

3) There are some examples here:
http://www.microarray-quality.org/quality_metrics.html But they are not
especially good/bad reports. It is a good suggestion, I will try to find
some to share online.

Audrey

--
Audrey Kauffmann
EMBL - EBI

Steve Taylor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using arrayQualityMetrics and have a few questions.
>
> 1) When creating the NChannelSet I am using Bluefuse data (the AMPCH1
> and AMPCH2 columns) which do not have background readings, so I am
> reading it in like this
>
> assayData = with(RG, assayDataNew(R=R, G=G))
>
> This seems to be ok but I was wondering if this has any knock on
> effects I should be aware of, either with processing or report
> generation?
>
> 2)RNA Integrity Number (RIN)
> This seems to be required for phenoData, which is required to create
> the NChannelSet. If I don't have these values what should I do?
>
> 3)I like the fact there are descriptions of different QC methods in
> the report. What would also be helpful is if there were some example
> reports online to compare what good/bad reports look like. Are there
> any available?
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Steve
> Search the archives: