[BioC] SQLForge and probes that map to multiple genes

Mark Cowley m.cowley0 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 02:42:55 CEST 2008

Hi Marc, Sean and list.

If I can follow up on Marc's comment:
"The thing that has me scratching my head is why you would want to map
multiple genes onto a single probe in your annotation package?"

The genomics annotation problem (what does this ProbeSet detect, and
which ProbeSets detect my gene of interest) is inherently many to
many, that is, one ProbeSet can map to many 'genes' (or at least many
different accessions that point to the same gene), and that 1 'gene'
can map to multiple ProbeSets (perhaps different isoforms).

Does SQLforge handle these inevitable situations nicely?
Having read the SQLForge pdf documentation, and this post, it seems
that you can only provide at most 2 accessions for each ProbeSet,
perhaps a RefSeq accession, and if that is not known, a GenBank
accession.

If this has been discussed elsewhere, can someone please point me in
the right direction?

Cheers,

Mark
Mark Cowley, BSc (Bioinformatics)(Hons)

Peter Wills Bioinformatics Centre
Garvan Institute of Medical Research, Sydney, Australia
On 15/07/2008, at 6:57 AM, Marc Carlson wrote:

> Sean Davis wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 12:07 PM, Cei Abreu-Goodger
>> <cei at sanger.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Sean,
>>>
>>> Ok, so my example was even worse than I thought. And I had forgot
>>> to mention
>>> that the otherSrc parameter wasn't what I needed. So, to return to
>>> my bad
>>> example, I now have two separate files, the first column in the
>>> first file,
>>> the second in the second file:

>>>             V1        V2
>>> 1   gnf1m00050_at NM_008929