[BioC] limma background correction

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Sat Jul 12 04:14:29 CEST 2008

Dear Ulrike and Henrique,

The problem is more likely to be with the limma normexp.fit() function
than with optim().

There is a rare numerical instability which causes an error like this with
normexp background correction in limma 2.14.X.  Jeremy Silver and I did a
lot of work on this late last year, and we think we have eliminated the
problem.  The new (faster) code is in limma on the Bioconductor
developmental repository.  You can try it out if you install R 2.8.0.  I'd
be interested to know if it solves the problem for your data sets.

Best wishes
Gordon