[BioC] LARGE Change in GCRMA expression values between versions (REPEAT QUESTION: PLEASE REPLY)

Richard Pearson richard.pearson at postgrad.manchester.ac.uk
Fri Jul 11 11:03:12 CEST 2008

Hi

One thing I have noticed with the "new" GCRMA (2.12.x) is that for low-expressed probesets, the expression values are exactly the same across arrays. I'm presuming that this explains the peak in p-values near 1 that Guido is seeing. I also note that the  "infinitesimal amount of uniformly distributed noise" mentioned in the Lim et al paper is not added in the gcrma package. I think the result of this is you are likely to see many probesets with zero difference between conditions, and hence presumably a p-value of 1.

When the Lim et al paper was presented at ISMB, I asked whether the new version of GCRMA had been benchmarked using benchmarks such as affycomp. I was told that it hadn't been but that it would be.

FYI, I am currently working on a benchmark for combinations of summarisation/differential expression methods, and will include the "old" and "new" versions of GCRMA.

Best wishes

Richard.