[BioC] Processing exon array in bioconductor

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Thu Dec 18 22:06:03 CET 2008

Hi Jennifer,

Barb, Jennifer (NIH/CIT) [E] wrote:
> Hello All, I am fairly new to processing exon array CEL files using
> the Affy package in Bioconductor and I was trying to obtain RMA
> values for 6 chips on the Human Exon 1.0 st array and I received the
> following error message after the rma command was run:
>> eset<-rma(data)

The affy package is not designed to work with the exon arrays. There are
three packages designed to analyze these arrays; oligo, xps, and
exonmap. I just wrote a blurb that will (or maybe has) appear on the
BioC website, showing what is required for such things. The relevant
portion looks like this:

Affymetrix Exon ST Arrays:

  oligo
  - Requires a pdInfoPackage built using pdInfoBuilder
  - This package collates cdf, probe, annotation data together
  - These packages are available from Bioconductor via biocLite()

  exonmap
  - Requires installation of MySQL and Ensembl core database tables
  - Requires specially modified cdf (available at
    http://xmap.picr.man.ac.uk/download/) and affy package

  xps
  - Requires installation of ROOT
  - Uses data files from Affymetrix (.CDF, .PGF, .CLF, .CSV) directly

The part about the pdInfoPackage being available appears not to be quite
true as yet. We built them, but there were a couple of technical aspects
that need to get fixed before they will be downloadable via biocLite().
And I have no idea how long that might take, although if Marc Carlson
sees this he may chime in.

In the interim you could build your own using pdInfoBuilder. However,
for the exon arrays you will need a 64-bit linux box with something like
8 Gb RAM to use either oligo or exonmap, due to the amount of memory
these things require. You might be able to use xps on Windows with say 4
Gb RAM, but I am not sure about that.

Another R solution is aroma.affymetrix which has its own mailing list -
you can google to find more information about that.

Best,

Jim