[BioC] Normalized microarray data and meta-analysis

Paul Leo p.leo at uq.edu.au
Thu Dec 18 01:06:19 CET 2008

No you don't need the raw data. However, do you need to check that
p-values were calculated the same way between experiments (will be
consistent if you use GEO processed data ) - what if one group did a
multiple testing correction and the other did not? Perhaps this is
already accounted for in the method you mentioned?

You may wish to consider if you will combine p-values at the gene level
the probe level. Most favour the probe level due to spline varients etc

If you comparing cross array platforms then you need to be very careful;
a conservative appraoch is blast probe-to-probe across array platforms
to get the correspondence. Illumina provides "pre-basted" probes sets on
their ftp site for ilumina-affy comparisons.

Best of luck.

Cheers
Paul