[BioC] limits/thresholds for arrayWeights in the limma package

Matt Ritchie Matt.Ritchie at cancer.org.uk
Wed Aug 13 04:39:59 CEST 2008

Hi Radek,

Arrays with weights less than 1 are less precise than average, while arrays
with weights greater than 1 are more precise (the sum to zero constraint in
the log-linear variance model enforces this).  So in your example, the array
which is assigned a weight of 4 is the most precise array in the experiment,
therefore I wouldn't recommend tossing it out.

The idea behind the array weighting method is to keep all of the arrays in
your analysis and weight the observations in the gene-wise linear models by
the estimated array weights which are intended to account for differences in
precision between different arrays.

I hope this explanation helps.  Best wishes,

Matt