[BioC] error in matchprobes package

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Wed Sep 12 19:00:07 CEST 2007

Hi Yan,

First, please don't take things off-list. The archives are intended to
be a resource, and if the questions/answers become private then we have
less of a resource.

Yan Zhang wrote:
> Thank you very much for your response.
> Yes, that chip only has PM. Then, what can I do?
> I need to solve this problem in order to continue.
> For warning message,
> Can I just ignore that warning messages? I doubled. Because later, when
> I using GCRMA, those NA will cause trouble in the compute.infinite
> function.
> What can I do? Can I just delete the head of probesequence file?

You won't be able to do GCRMA with a PM-only chip. GCRMA uses the MM
probes to compute a background estimate, and if you don't have MM probes
you won't be able to do that.

As for the second question (which is a moot point now), you don't want
to delete the head of the probe_tab file. As I mentioned in my earlier
reply you would need to use the devel version of matchprobes with
R-2.6.0alpha.

Best,

Jim

> best
> yan
>
> James W. MacDonald wrote:
>
>> Hi Yan,
>>
>> yzhang at vbi.vt.edu wrote:
>>
>>> When I use makeProbePackage function in newest version matchprobes
>>> package(1.8.1), I got the following error message:

>>> check=FALSE, force=True)
>>> Importing the data.
>>> Error in rep(NA, max(pm1, mm1, pm2, mm2)) :
>>>         invalid 'times' argument
>>> In addition: Warning messages:
>>> 1: NAs introduced by coercion in: as.integer.default(dat[[2]])
>>> 2: NAs introduced by coercion in: as.integer.default(dat[[3]])
>>> 3: NAs introduced by coercion in: as.integer.default(dat[[4]])
>>

>> The error comes from code that compares the probeset IDs from the
>> probe package with the cdf package, and IIRC this happens when you
>> have a PM-only chip. Is this chip PM-only?
>>
>> The warnings come from an unfortunate change that was made to
>> getProbeDataAffy() that I have fixed in the devel version (and have no
>> idea right now why I didn't push to the release as well...). The
>> problem stems from the fact that you are reading in the whole
>> probe_tab file, including the header. When the (x,y) coordinates and
>> probe interrogation position data are coerced to integer, the first
>> value for each is character, which is coerced to a NA.
>>
>> The release branch is no longer being built, so I cannot push a fix
>> that will end up being available. The easiest thing for you to do is
>> upgrade your R to 2.6.0 alpha and use the devel version of matchprobes.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Jim
>>

>>> I don't have this problem if I use old version(1.0.22).
>>> Anyonne knows what cause this?
>>>
>>> best
>>> yan

>>> Search the archives: