[BioC] timecourse + factorial + replicates in LIMMA

aaron.j.mackey at gsk.com aaron.j.mackey at gsk.com
Wed Sep 12 17:57:58 CEST 2007

"Naomi Altman" <naomi at stat.psu.edu> wrote on 09/11/2007 05:23:59 PM:

> Why would you want to use duplicateCorrelation?  This is for error
> correlation.  Presumably your replicates are biologically distinct,
> and required for the test statistic denominator.

Sorry, I didn't explain myself very well.  The replicates are technical
replicates - same biological organism, not distinct (there were four
distinct organisms, from strains A, B, C and D).  I guess since I only
have one biological replicate per strain, that the distinction between
technical and biological replicates might not matter in this case.

> However, to answer your question, this is due to removing the
> intercept.  With no intercept, the correlation is computed without
> removing the mean and this pretty much makes all the correlation 1.

Thanks.  I removed the intercept because I wanted to be able to model each
strain independently (with the intercept, I only get strains B, C and D as
factors; A is subsumed by the intercept).

-Aaron

> At 04:38 PM 9/11/2007, aaron.j.mackey at gsk.com wrote:
> >I have an experimental setup in which four strains (A, B, C and D) are
> >given a treatment or control mock treatment, and observed (by Affy)
over a
> >post-treatment timecourse (4 timepoints); each
strain/treatment/timepoint