[BioC] Rgraphviz edge attributes can't be changed on Mac

Luo Weijun luo_weijun at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 31 22:08:30 CET 2007

Hello everybody,

I used Rgraphviz to plot some signaling pathway. It
did work well in many aspects, including node
attributes. However, when I tried to customize the
edge attributes, it did really work. I can't change
any of these attributes, including arrowhead, style
(e.g. line style, dashed, solid etc), labelfontsize. I
did see the edge labels but their size was too big and
I couldn't change it. I doubt other attributes would
all work well. I noticed that other people reported
something similar on Mac early this year in a thread
titled "Rgraphviz: Edge attributes not displaying",
but they couldn't even see the labels. I would
appreciate it much if anybody can give me a little
help on this. Thank you!
Weijun

These is the codes I used to layout and plot the
graph:

tgf=agopen(kg1, name='kg', attrs = attrs,
nodeAttrs=nAttr, edgeAttrs=eAttr, subGList=subGList)
loc=getNodeXY(tgf)
pdf('kg.pdf')
plot(tgf)
text(loc, label = labType[1,ni], cex = 0.4)
dev.off()

Not that I have to use agopen, because I need to
retrieve locations of the nodes and add other things
after plot(). I tried toFile() function to output as
PS file, didn't work at all (I can't even open the
file). Actually toFile doesn't allow me add anything
later even if it works.

My operating system is Mac OS X 10.4.9, and this is my
session information

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.5.1 (2007-06-27)
powerpc-apple-darwin8.9.1

locale:

attached base packages:
[1] "tools"     "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices"
"utils"     "datasets"
[7] "methods"   "base"

other attached packages:
  Rgraphviz geneplotter     lattice    annotate
Biobase       graph
   "1.14.1"    "1.14.0"   "0.15-11"    "1.14.1"
"1.14.0"    "1.14.2"
        XML
    "1.9-0"