[BioC] getGene type not recognized

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Thu Oct 25 18:05:58 CEST 2007

Hi John,

You did find the problem. Ensembl has a very bad habit of changing the
names they use for things, which makes maintaining biomaRt difficult for
Steffen (and by extension, maintaining affycoretools for me).

<rant>
This is an example of what I would consider a gratuitous change - was it
really necessary to change hgnc_symbol to hgnc? Did we gain something
here? They did something similar with Mus musculus and Rattus norvegicus
as well, changing it to markersymbol. Again, did we _really_ gain
something by making these changes? Can't we just call it a symbol for
all species and go on with our lives? >:#
</rant>

Whew, I feel better now ;-D

Best,

Jim

John Lande wrote:
> maybe I found the problems, but I will not be able to solve the issue:
>
> if I run the getBM command, everything works but if in the attributes i put
> the field hgnc_symbol, it complains with the same error:
>
> Error in getBM(attributes = c("affy_hg_u95av2", "hgnc_symbol",
> "chromosome_name",  :
> Invalid attribute(s): hgnc_symbol
> Please use the function 'listAttributes' to get valid attribute names
>
> if I run 'listAttributes' there is no hgnc_symbol, but hgnc. it is possible
> that by default getGene still have this parameter ad default.
>

> On 10/25/07, John Lande <john.lande77 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dear BioC,
>>

>> I have the following problem with biomaRt packages:
>>
>> if I run any script with the function getGene, it seems it cannot
>> recognize the type field.
>>
>> it happen also with the example in the man of getGene:
>>
>>> mart = useMart("ensembl", dataset="hsapiens_gene_ensembl")
>>> g = getGene( id = "1939_at", type = "affy_hg_u95av2", mart = mart)