[BioC] Arguments for normalizewithinarrays (Limma)

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Thu Oct 25 12:43:20 CEST 2007

Dear Sally,

Here are two pieces of advice which apply generally to most functions
in Bioconductor or R, and certainly to limma.

Firstly, tuning arguments are usually set to default values which are
sensible for most purposes. You would have to have a special reason
for choosing something different. You have not mentioned any reason
why the default settings of normalizeWithinArrays are not suitable for you.

Secondly, if you want to learn more, you read the help page for that
function and follow the references given. In this case,

   ?normalizeWithinArrays

The 3rd reference looks especially relevant.

BTW, reading the help page would tell you that the 'df' argument is
not used for loess normalization.

Best wishes
Gordon