[BioC] Problem reading data with beadarray package

Elizabeth McClellan Elizabeth.McClellan at UTSouthwestern.edu
Wed Oct 24 07:04:47 CEST 2007

I am a first time user of beadarray and am having trouble simply reading in my data.

I have a directory containing 12 .csv files(four columns - Illumicode, N, Mean GRN, Dev GRN), 12 .txt files (two columns - Code, Grn), and 12 .tif files from an experiment using an Illumina Human-6 v2 BeadChip.  I would like to read in any or all of the arrays, but cannot seem to do so.  I have tried many different functions, but everything results in an error.  I am using R 2.5.1 on Windows Vista.

Here is my code:
> library(beadarray)

Welcome to Bioconductor

  Vignettes contain introductory material. To view, type
  'openVignette()'. To cite Bioconductor, see
  'citation("Biobase")' and for packages 'citation(pkgname)'.

KernSmooth 2.22 installed
Copyright M. P. Wand 1997
Package SparseM (0.73) loaded.  To cite, see citation("SparseM")
Package quantreg (4.10) loaded.  To cite, see citation("quantreg")

Attaching package: 'beadarray'

        The following object(s) are masked from package:limma :

         imageplot,
         plotMA

> BLData<-readBeadLevelData()
Error: could not find function "readBeadLevelData"
> BLData<-readIllumina(textType=".txt")
Found 12 arrays
Error in order(dat1$ProbeID) : object "dat1" not found
> BLD<-readBeadImages()
Error: could not find function "readBeadImages"

and R crashes every time I enter

BLData<-readIllumina(textType=".csv").

I have read as many papers as I can find about the documentation for this package, as well as the R Help for package beadarray, and cannot quite figure out what "targets" or "beadtargets" should be.  I have tried creating a .txt file with a list of all the .csv and .tif files I want to read in, and "readBeadTargets" accepts that, but when I try readBeadLevelData(targets) it tells me it cannot find the function "readBeadLevelData".

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, and please let me know if I need to supply anymore information.

Here is my session info:
R version 2.5.1 (2007-06-27)
i386-pc-mingw32

locale:
LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252;LC_CTYPE=English_United States.1252;LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages:
[1] "grid"      "tools"     "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices" "utils"
[7] "datasets"  "methods"   "base"

other attached packages:
   beadarray beadarraySNP  quantsmooth      lodplot     quantreg      SparseM
     "1.4.0"      "1.2.0"      "1.2.0"        "1.1"       "4.10"       "0.73"
        affy       affyio  geneplotter      lattice     annotate      Biobase
    "1.14.1"      "1.4.0"     "1.14.0"    "0.15-11"     "1.14.1"     "1.14.0"
       limma
    "2.10.7"