[BioC] VSN: narrowing down probe sets for parameter estimation

Wolfgang Huber huber at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Oct 19 11:00:42 CEST 2007

Hi Stefan,

0) vsn already has an algorithm that attempts to narrow down the probes
that are used. This is the so-called "robustification" of the ML
estimator by Least Trimmed Sum of Squared minimisation. But of course
this is automatic, and sometimes not perfect, and if you have an
external way of identifiýing non-changing probes, that can be very useful.

1) A few hundred should be OK in practice. What is more important than
their number is that they about equally cover the whole dynamic range!

2)
x = an ExpressionSet
fit = vsn2(x[yourSelectedProbes, ])
nx = predict(fit, newdata=exprs(x))