[BioC] residuals.MArrayLM

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Tue Oct 16 08:05:57 CEST 2007

Dear Tiandao,

I don't have a neat answer to that question. A model always tries to
be good enough for the purpose, and you have to very precise about
what the purpose is before you can even properly address the
question. For example, the p-values may still behave well for ranking
genes even if the data are far from normal. It isn't possible to
fully put a model to the test on the basis of an individual
microarray data set. There are many research questions here.

I personally think that with microarray data it is most fruitful to
examine data quality at the array level, rather than attempting an
microarray equivalent of the sort of residual analysis you might do
for a univariate regression problem.

Best wishes
Gordon