[BioC] output of coxfilter function in genefilter package

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Thu May 24 17:00:02 CEST 2007

carol white wrote:
> Hi, I have fitted a univariate cox regression a data set and retained
> the genes whose p-value were less or equal to 0.05. the total number
> of retained genes is 2746. I also filtered genes based on the same
> condition (pval <= 0.05) on the same data set using coxfilter
> function in genefilter package and got  2648 genes, i.e 98 genes less
> than the number of genes that I got by univariate cox model. Should I
> have not got the same number of genes?

Not necessarily. It depends on what p-value you are using. The coxfilter
function uses the likelihood ratio to compute a p-value. If you are
using a Wald or Score test, the p-value may be different enough for some
genes that they would pass your p-value filter, but not for the p-value
returned from coxfilter.

> Moreover, I think the output of coxfilter is just a set of genes
> whose pval <= a threshold like 0.05 and it doesn't provide a gene set
> based on p-val ranking (ascending or descending) which I need.

You are correct - coxfilter is designed to give TRUE/FALSE indices to
filter your genes.. However, it wouldn't take much to change coxfilter
to simply return the p-values (or alternatively for you to emulate
coxfilter with your own function that will do what you want).

Best,

Jim

> regards, carol

> archives: