[BioC] ReadAffy Error: new versions causing problems?

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Wed May 23 17:58:19 CEST 2007

Hi Boel,

Boel Brynedal wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I am a PhD student at Karolinska Institutet in Sweden. I have a problem
> thats been evolving the last couple of days. The net result is that much
> of what I do produces error messages. I'll give an example:
>

>>raw<-ReadAffy()
>
> Error in read.affybatch(filenames = l$filenames, phenoData = l
> $phenoData,  :
>         VECTOR_ELT() can only be applied to a 'list', not a 'char'
>
> Is there something wrong with my CEL-files? I exported some of them to
> another computer with the same version of R and packages, and there it
> worked fine.

I don't know that there is anything wrong with your celfiles. This error
usually means that ReadAffy() is sending something wrong to the C code,
most often due to errant passing of arguments as celfile names. However,
in your case this not what I would expect.

What do you get when you do

list.celfiles()?

Also, does

raw <- ReadAffy(filenames=list.celfiles())

help?

Best,

Jim

> When I use the biocLite installing route, the installation of both
> tkWidgets and tcltk seams to fail:
> Error: package 'tkWidgets' could not be loaded
> In addition: Warning message:
> there is no package called 'tkWidgets' in: library(pkg, character.only =
> TRUE, logical = TRUE, lib.loc = lib.loc)
> Execution halted
> ERROR: execution of package source for 'marray' failed
> ** Removing '/usr/local/lib64/R/library/marray'
> ** Restoring previous '/usr/local/lib64/R/library/marray'
>
> Could this be the reason for my problems; that old and new versions of
> packages are mixed?
>
> My sessionInfo():
> R version 2.5.0 (2007-04-23)
> x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
>
> attached base packages:
> [1] "splines"   "tools"     "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices" "utils"
> [7] "datasets"  "methods"   "base"
>
> other attached packages:
>       gcrma matchprobes  simpleaffy  genefilter    survival        affy
>     "2.8.1"     "1.8.1"     "2.8.0"    "1.14.1"      "2.31"    "1.14.0"
>      affyio     Biobase
>     "1.4.0"    "1.14.0"
>
> Or can it be a more general problem? I just installed a new versions of
> both R and bioconductor packages.
>
> I'm not an expert in Linux or R, so I'll appreciate any advice!
> Thank you,
>
> Boel Brynedal
>
> --~*~**~***~*~***~**~*~--
> Boel Brynedal, MSc, PhD student