[BioC] quantile normalization of one dataset to another

Ben Bolstad bmb at bmbolstad.com
Wed May 23 02:30:54 CEST 2007

Ignoring the wisdom, or otherwise, of seeking to do a normalization like
this there is code for doing this using affyPLM. The following code
implements a quantile normalization procedure which determines a target
distribution from one dataset and applies it to another:

library(affyPLM)

X.to.determine.normalization <- matrix(rnorm(1000),100,10)
Y.to.normalize <- matrix(rexp(10000),1000,10)

target <- normalize.quantiles.determine.target(X.to.determine.normalization,1000)
Y.normalized <- normalize.quantiles.use.target(Y.to.normalize,target)

boxplot(as.data.frame(X.to.determine.normalization))
boxplot(as.data.frame(Y.to.normalize))
boxplot(as.data.frame(Y.normalized))