[BioC] limma: print-tip loess and empty spots

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Tue May 22 15:04:17 CEST 2007

Dear Adrian,

I assume that you're already read the limma User's Guide advice:

"Print-tip loess is also unreliable for small arrays with less than, say, 150 spots per print-tip
group. Even larger arrays may have particular print-tip groups which are too small for printtip
loess normalization if the number of spots with non-missing M-values is small for one or more of
the print-tip groups. In these cases one should either use global "loess" normalization or else
use robust spline normalization"

There are however special considerations for multispecies arrays, see

Gilad, Y., Oshlack, A., Smyth, G. K., Speed, T. P., and White, K. P. (2006). Expression profiling
in primates reveals a rapid evolution of human transcription factors. Nature 440, 242-245.

Oshlack, A., Smyth, G. K., and Gilad, Y. (2007). Using DNA microarrays to study gene expression in
closely related species. Bioinformatics. (Published online 23 March 2007).

and perhaps

Oshlack, A., Emslie, D., Corcoran, L., and Smyth, G. K. (2007). Normalization of boutique
two-color microarrays with a high proportion of differentially expressed probes. Genome Biology 8,
R2.

Best wishes
Gordon