[BioC] tcl/tk and biocLite

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Mon May 14 23:54:30 CEST 2007

Hi Grischa,

toedt <g.toedt at dkfz-heidelberg.de> writes:
> Dear Bioconductor group,
>
> i tried to have a leightweight bioconductor install without any tcl/tk
> requirements. (Bioconductor 2.0 / R 2.5.0)
> Therefore i chose biocLite since the group "lite" doesn't contain
> tkWidgets and widgetTools, but i noticed that the contained marray
> package has a tkWidgets dependency (=package install of marray fails).
>
> Are there any plans on splitting marray in a marray and a marrayGUI
> package, like for limma?
>
> That would help "tcltk-less" people like me   ;-)

Most BioC packages that provide tcltk support do so via Suggests as an
optional feature.  It looks like tkWidgets was added as a dependency
to marray in April.  It is up to package maintainers to make such
decisions.  In principle, I agree that a as much as possible packages
should Suggest rather than Depend on tcltk since not all users can use
a GUI.

+ seth

--
Seth Falcon | Computational Biology | Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
http://bioconductor.org