[BioC] GSE normalization

Stephen Taylor staylor at molbiol.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jun 22 18:19:10 CEST 2007

Hi,

> I posted a similiar question as you yesterday and my situation is a
> little bit different from you:
> I have two ideas and one of them is to evaluae the variance across
> sites so normalization should not be done for that purpose; but my
> second idea needs the normalization, and my way of doing that is pool
> the CEL files in one directory and run justGCRMA or whatever on them.
> I am working on this approach now. Maybe we (or anyone interested in
> this) could share the experience.

Someone has just advised me (off list) that the SOFT files can't be
analysed using rma since the data is at the gene level. So I guess
downloading the CEL files is the best approach...

Ultimately I would like to incorporate other platform(s) as well, though
I realise this has many problems. Another set of data I have is from
Functional ID v2.0 Array 1 from Rosetta, which I am not familiar with.
Does anyone know what is the best normalisation procedure for this type
of data?

I agree with Weiwei though it would be useful to find out what is an
appropriate methodology. I have had a brief look around and seen a
bioconductor package called MergeMaid. Has anyone had any experience
with this or can recommend something else?

Thanks again,

Steve