[BioC] limma design

James MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Mon Jun 18 18:09:44 CEST 2007

Please quit taking things off-list. The list is intended to a.) help people directly, and b.) serve as a searchable resource. If you take things off-list you eliminate b.).

As to the 'correct' way of doing things - there is no such thing. In statistics there are assumptions you make about the underlying data, and if you violate the assumptions then your results may not mean what you think. I wouldn't say it is 'incorrect' to violate assumptions, as in microarray data analysis we do it all the time. When was the last time you checked to see if the data you are fitting with these linear models followed a distribution even remotely Normal looking?

So the question isn't about the right way to do things. Instead, the question is 'What am I doing by fitting a model this way, and do I think that is reasonable/defensible?'. If you choose to analyze data, you are responsible for knowing what you did and why you did it, and defending your choices. I don't think you can reasonably expect someone to take that responsibility for you.

Best,

Jim