[BioC] analysis with no replication

Richard Pearson richard.pearson at postgrad.manchester.ac.uk
Tue Jun 12 12:48:24 CEST 2007

Li

I'm not sure if I've understand you fully but if you are wanting to
identify differentially expressed genes from unreplicated GeneChip data
you have a couple of options that I am aware of:

1. The puma package can be used to determine uncertainties in expression
levels which can then be used to determine probabilities of differential
expression in a principled way. I've not included an unreplicated
example in the puma vignette, but this is quite straightforward to do so
give me a shout if you'd like to do this with puma but can't figure out
how. I believe the bgx package can also do something similar.
2. You could simply apply your favourite summary method, and then use
fold change between conditions to determine differentially expressed genes.

Having said the above, with unreplicated data you have no information on
biological variability, so the ideal approach would be to repeat the
experiment if at all possible.

Hope that helps

Richard.