[BioC] affycoretools: group parameter

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Mon Feb 19 15:07:11 CET 2007

Hi Ingrid,

Ingrid H. G. Østensen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have an experiment with 24 cel files divided into 6 groups (4 of
> each type). In affycoretools the group parameter would be like this:
> groups = rep(1:24, each = 4).
>
> After the QC I found out that one of the arrays was really bad and
> had to be removed. In other words there are now 5 groups with 4
> arrays and one with 3 arrays. What should I put in the group
> parameter now? I have tried different things but nothing has worked
> so far.

The groups argument (not a parameter) you are specifying isn't correct
to begin with. You want groups = rep(1:6, each = 4). The groups argument
you are specifying now is a numeric vector of length 96, instead of
length 24. I should probably put in some error checking to prevent
mis-specified groups arguments.

Anyway, the groups argument just specifies what group each celfile
belongs to, so you can simply subset the correct argument to remove one
of the replicates for the group that has been reduced. For instance,
let's say you removed the third replicate of the fourth group. You can
then specify the groups argument like this:

groups = rep(1:6, each=4)[-14]

Best,

Jim

> Regards, Ingrid