[BioC] correlation between M values of replicate arrays

Wolfgang Huber huber at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Feb 7 00:27:20 CET 2007

Dear João,

just to add to Claus' excellent explanation: high correlation between
replicates is NOT the same as good data quality. Otherwise, a
normalisation method that would replace each probe's M value by a fixed
number that only depends on the gene name would be the best(*). What you
want is an improvement in MSE = bias² + variance. See e.g. also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_squared_error

(*) Btw, this is no joke, on oligonucleotide arrays the dependence of
the background (unspecific) signal on GC content and other sequence
features can have exactly this effect.

  Best wishes
  Wolfgang