[BioC] [R-SIG-Mac] Mac os x graphviz-Rgraphviz problem

Li.Long at isb-sib.ch Li.Long at isb-sib.ch
Mon Feb 5 10:32:00 CET 2007

Just add one thing to what Kasper already said: I suspect that the issue
is that the  .so from graphviz are not visible to the loader.  You can fix
up the LD_LIBRARY_PATH in someway: "make install" from graphviz has some
msgs like

PATH="$PATH:/sbin" ldconfig -n /home/vital-it/lilong/bin/graphviz-2.12/lib
Libraries have been installed in:
   /home/vital-it/lilong/bin/graphviz-2.12/lib

that hints how to do it.  I didn't see "ldconfig" quoted in the msg...

Li

> Your example works fine for me on Mac OS X ppc 10.4.8 with R-2.4.1
> and graphviz 2.12 compiled from source.
>
> You can check your graphviz version from R by doing
> R> graphvizVersion()
>
> You have an error in the Graphviz version reported below, I assume
> you are talking about Rgraphviz' version. When you run it in the X11
> xterm (which I assume you are talking about), it seems as if some
> PATH/library settings are messed up. I don't know anything about
> Darwinports configuration, so I am afraid I cannot help much.
>
> Getting Rgraphviz to work requires some connection between graphviz
> and Rgraphviz, and it is important for us to know what you installed,
> and especially how. I assume Darwinports compile from source? Since
> you have installed several different flavours of Graphviz, are you
> certain that you have cleaned up after you? Using the Graphviz binary
> provided by Simon Urbanek should work, but I find it  bit puzzling
> which versions (and how you installed them) you are discussing below.
>
> So, try to reinstall Rgraphviz the way you describe below. Note what
> version of Graphviz R is linking to, both by looking at the compile
> statements when installing the package (which is why you need to
> reinstall) as well as trying
> R> graphvizVersion()
> and then see if something is not matching.
>
> Btw. you are most certainly not running Graphviz 2.8 under MS
> Windows, unless you have taken major pains to do so.
>
> Personally, Graphviz used to be a pain to install on the Mac, but the
> new version (2.12) compiled easily for me.
>
> Kasper
>

> On Feb 1, 2007, at 1:45 PM, Gavai, Anand wrote:
>

>> Hello everyone,
>> I am having problems making Rgraphviz working with graphviz.
>> I installed R from Darwin ports "http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/
>> getdp/"
>>
>> by
>>> sudo port install r
>>
>> I set my environment variables in my .bash_profile e.g export PATH=/
>> opt/local/bin:$PATH
>>
>> I also installed other packages which are required for Rgraphviz
>> like "graphviz" and "pkgconfig" by
>>
>>> sudo port install graphviz
>>
>>> sudo port install pkgconig
>>
>> both these commands will also install dependencies which are
>> required. After this
>>
>> I start up an R session being root and get the latest version of
>> bioconductor packages by sourcing it from bioconductor website
>>
>>> source("http://www.bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
>>> biocLite()
>>
>> waited for a while and then install
>>
>>> biocLite("Rgraphviz",depend=TRUE,type="source")
>>

>> it worked fine when i opened it in a Terminal window, only the
>>
>>> library("Rgraphviz")
>>> d<-rbind(a,b)
>>> graphObj = ftM2graphNEL(d)