[BioC] Affy normalization question

James MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Sun Dec 23 21:03:56 CET 2007

Mark W Kimpel wrote:
> Jim,
>
> My understanding is that our lab normally randomizes by
> 1. treatment
> 2. RNA extraction
> 3. labeling
> 4. hybridization
>
> In addition, we sometimes have multiple brain regions, and, for the
> purpose of the MA run, each region is treated as an independent
> experiment, thus there is no randomization across brain regions for the
> above factors.
>
> My question arises because of two recent situations. First, in one
> experiment, for a reason not clear to me, the labeling and hybridization
> groups were combined and there is a clear batch effect when this
> labeling-hybridization factor is put into Limma. In such a case, would
> separate normalization be suggested? It will make the batch effect
> larger, but would seem to be addressed by using the batch-effect as a
> factor.

I think there are two different questions here. First, when should one
normalize things separately, and when should a batch effect be used.

For me, it takes a lot to want to run RMA separately on chips that were
all processed in a single facility. In general, the normalization is
intended to address technical differences between samples while
retaining biological differences, so unless I can see some large
differences between the sample distributions or I think that most genes
will be differentially expressed between samples, I would tend to
process them all together.

> Secondly, in another experiment I need to perform an analysis across 5
> brain regions to look for overall gene expression differences resulting
> from genetic differences between strains. In that experiment the 4
> factors mentioned at the beginning were randomized for so there is no
> batch effect within-brain region, but there is across brain region. In
> this experiment I am not trying to find differences across brain
> regions, which would be impossible to separate out from a batch effect,
> but rather between two treatments that are independent of brain region.
> One way I have done this in the past has been to simply average all 5
> brain regions together to come up with an average-brain expression
> measure, but, I wonder if it would be better to put brain region in as a
> factor. Regardless of whether I average or not, I need to decide whether
> to normalize all brain regions together or, because they were run as
> separate MA experiments, to normalize them individually.

This is a situation where it makes sense to me to add a brain region
effect so you are in effect blocking on brain region. I think it makes
much less sense to average over all regions. In this case it might make
sense to normalize separately, but I wonder just how different the
expression of each region might be. I usually look at NUSE plots to see
if I think the normalization should be done separately or not. If the
NUSE plot looks reasonable, then I figure the model is fitting the data
OK, so why bother with separate normalizations? Then again, we ran over
1800 chips last year, so I don't have a lot of time to ponder a given
analysis. ;-D

> Really, the question seems to be whether RMA should be used on a group
> of CEL files in the presence of a non-chip related batch effect, if so,
> will it make a batch effect "go away" (not from my experience), and then
> if not, how to incorporate the batch effect in a model.
>
> Finally, I realize that by randomizing at each step mentioned at the
> top, one spreads any variance out so that it cannot be picked up with a
> batch effect. With the "n" we usually use, if one were to take each of
> the 4 factors into account one usually would run out of degrees of
> freedom. Nevertheless the variance induced at each step of the wet-lab
> is there, it is just not apparent and presumably doesn't induce bias. It
> does, however, decrease power, and I wonder if it wouldn't be better to
> block by treatment, so that equal numbers from each treatment are in a
> group, but that then each group is processed totally together. There the
>   batch effect would be large, but it would be present as only one
> factor, which with large enough "n" one could take into account in a
> statistical model. That, it seems, might increase power to detect
> differential expression. Maybe this is counter-intuitive, and would
> probably only work if "n" were large enough to provide enough degrees of
> freedom, but it makes some sense to me. Am I nuts? (many people think
> so, so don't be shy about saying so ;) ).

Doing things that way is a split-plot design, and I don't recall anybody
advocating batch effects for the plots in a split-plot design. But a
split-plot design is intended for situations where you can only
randomize at one step. I would tend to want to mix things up more, but
others may have different opinions.

Best,

Jim