[BioC] Reading 'rgu34a' probeset - D37951UTR#1_at

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Wed Sep 27 15:38:50 CEST 2006

Hi Sharon,

Sharon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am analysing 'rgu34a' affy chips.
> I was able to extract expression values using 'rma' and
> store the expression values in
> the 'txt' file. When, I tired to read the 'txt' file using read.table(),
> I get NA values (for all chips. but in the txt file, i do see the expression
> values) for probesets such as D37951UTR#1_at. I tried to use
> check.names=FALSE and as.is=TRUE options but not able to solve the issue.
>
> Any suggestions?

My suggestion would be to not write the expression values to a text
file. One of the goals of the Bioconductor project is to create and use
data structures (such as the exprSet that originally contained your
data) that can be used by all of the packages, and that are designed to
contain all the information needed to track and describe the data.

By writing the data to a text file and then reading it back in, you are
adding two completely unneccessary steps to your analysis. In addition,
you are replacing something specific and more useful (an exprSet) with
something general and arguably much less useful (a data.frame).

Best,

Jim

> Thanks in advance.
>
> regards,