[BioC] Affymetrix Poly-A Controls

Ann Hess hess at stat.colostate.edu
Thu Oct 5 20:00:27 CEST 2006

I have some questions about Affymetrix Poly-A Controls.

The Affymetrix Data Analysis Fundamentals manual states that "Poly-A
RNA controls can be used to monitor the entire target labeling
process....All of the Poly-A controls should be called "Present" with
increasing Signal values in the order of lys,phe,thr,dap."

I have some array data for which the Poly-A controls (lys, phe, thr, dap)
are called Absent on many arrays.   In addition, the signal values
consistently follow the order lys<phe<dap<thr across arrays.  To look at
this, I took the average of all probe sets for each of the four controls
and plotted these values by array.   I should note that the Hybridization
Controls (bioB, bioC, bioD and cre) look good.  In addition, I verified
that the GeneChip Poly-A RNA Control Kit was used.

Does anyone have experience with experiments where the Poly-A controls did
not perform as expected?  What does this tell me about the data and the
experimental protocol?  Should this have been checked by the core lab
technician?

Any insight into this problem would be greatly appreciated!

Ann