[BioC] Normalisation method worries

J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
Thu Oct 5 15:38:14 CEST 2006

Hi,

here I come again about normalisation... :)

I have a set of 4 cDNA 2-colour arrays, including dye-swap.
00 & 01 are in one direction, 02 and 03 in the opposite.

Each hybridisation corresponds to untreated sample vs. transfected
sample (experiments on cell lines). The treatment appears to affect
MANY genes.

I plotted the raw data log2(ratio) vs log2(product)... and this is what i get:

http://mcnach.com/MISC/raw_RI_plots_M1.png

No background correction was applied.

The print-tip loess curves are shown here for the first slide (00):

http://mcnach.com/MISC/print-tip_loess_plot_for_slide_140000_M1.png

By the nature of this experiment (transfection of a fusion gene, made
up of a DNA-binding section with unknown specificity, but we expect
it'll pick up a lot of genes, and a transactivator domain) we are not
surprised to find many genes are activated. These are mostly the ones I
want, not so much the ones that have enhanced expression, but the ones
that go from not detectable expression to detectable levels.

The plots show there is a strong dependence between log2(ratio) and
intensity, mostly on the left... the higher intensity spots show a less
strong dependency. This is also seen nicely when looking at the loess
curves.
Now, I feel that a lot of the genes I might be interested in will
probably be in teh first half, since I'm looking at genes where the
signal before transfection is just about background... and it's this
region where the curves are steeper.
If I apply loess, I'll flatten the whole thing.
In fact, it looks like this:

http://mcnach.com/MISC/MAplots2.png

this image is from a different experiment (loess normalised, and
processed with limma), but the plot looks pretty much the same, and you
get that higher density diagonal (around 45 degrees) where I find that
these genes that are activated by the treatment tend to cluster.

So... on the one hand, I feel I may not be doing the best sort of
normalisation, yet I do get meaningful results that verify okay by RT,
so it's not all too bad. And I have no idea what other method would be
better suited anyway... I have no set of known invariant control genes
I could use, which I guess would be the best... although I might be
able to figure something out in the future.
What is the feeling of more experienced people here? Have you worked
with experiments like this? Am I worrying too much just to try to get a
few % more reliable data?

Any comments from anyone greatly appreciated!

Jose

--
Dr. Jose I. de las Heras                      Email: J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
The Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology    Phone: +44 (0)131 6513374