[BioC] Regarding error while normalizing using "loess" method

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Mon Oct 2 18:57:33 CEST 2006

Hi Ganiraju,

Ganiraju Manyam wrote:
> hi all,
>
> I am Ganiraju, a new member of the group. (and currently using the affy
> package)
>
> I m trying to use "loess" method in expresso function to normalize the data.
>
> While running Im getting an error: "non-numeric matrix extent"
>
> I didnt really understand whether is some problem with ReadAffy(), or
> functinoality of "loess", whether it can be used on all kinds of data or
> not.

You really need to give more information than this. At a minimum, you
need to give the commands you ran along with the results (i.e., copying
and pasting from within R). You should also give the results that you
get when you run sessionInfo() after loading all the packages you are
using here.

> Also, Im runnig sort of memory. Is there any other way to create virtual
> memory other than using "memory.limit."

Assuming you are on windows, as AFAIK, this command doesn't exist for
*nix or MacOS, the short answer is no. You can set the command line flag
--max-mem-size in the shortcut you use to launch R, setting this value
to the amount of RAM you have. If you still run out of memory, the next
step is to buy more RAM. R on windows will usually stop a computation
rather than using virtual memory (much to its credit IMO). Trying to do
any real computation using virtual memory is too painfully slow to be
recommended.

Best,

Jim

> Thanks in advance,