[BioC] automatic package installs

Votruba, Patrick G. Votruba.Patrick at mayo.edu
Fri Nov 3 21:08:56 CET 2006

Hello,

My colleague recently received the following error message and it has
caused some concern among our system administrators.  The
getProbePackage function tries to download and install a package that's
not locally available and fails because the user doesn't have write
permission to the library directory.  There are, however, a core group
of R users who do have write permission and we'd like to prevent
unintentional package installations.  Is there an easy way to disable
this function?

Also, this has sparked some debate as to whether bioconductor software
also automatically updates existing packages.  If so, can this also be
disabled?

Do automatic package installs/updates occur for all packages or just a
subset (e.g. annotation packages)?

I apologize if this is a redundant question, but I didn't see this
addressed in the online documentation and was unable to search the mail
archive.

Thanks,

Pat

Patrick G. Votruba