[BioC] Failure to load Biobase

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Tue May 23 22:12:26 CEST 2006

Hi Jenny,

Jenny Drnevich <drnevich at uiuc.edu> writes:
> I'm having some trouble loading Biobase properly upon start up using
> .Rprofile in a Windows environment. I saw this problem before, but I
> mistakenly attributed it to a problem in the affy package affecting hist()
> in my post on  3/21/06
> (https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioconductor/2006-March/012421.html). I get
> an error when trying to load Biobase itself, or when loading one of the
> packages that depend on it (see below for examples and sessionInfo) using
> an .Rprofile file in the working directory that is automatically sourced
> upon starting R. The error appears to happen because of a problem with the
> Windows menu in the Rgui, i.e., not finding functions "winMenuNames" or
> ""winMenuAddItem".

Thanks for the detailed report.  We will look into and provide a fix
as soon as we find one.

> I know Windows is not the ideal OS for R, but I'm stuck with it for
> a while...

I think what you are trying to do is reasonable and we will work for a
fix.  It should work fine on Windows.  In other words, no need for an
excuse here :-)

> I should also point out that the error message does not always
> appear if you are loading several different libraries, in particular
> when "library(RWinEdt)" comes first, which can lead to problems with
> functions later like the one I put in my original post. RWinEdt also
> adds an item on to the menu but doesn't seem to have any problems,
> so perhaps it's doing something correctly that Biobase is not doing?

That could be a good hint.  We'll take a look.

And if you haven't heard from us by this time next week, please bug me
about it.

Thanks,

+ seth