[BioC] Biological replication (was RNA degradation problem)

Suresh Gopalan gopalans at comcast.net
Fri Jan 20 15:20:58 CET 2006

I agree that independent replication is the best bet as of now, though it
has the risk of introduction of new defects/hidden variables that influence
the phenotype in question, which may indeed be relevant or constitute
another line of study.

If one decides to take this risk or for other reasons does experiments in
perfectly identical (reproducible?) conditions and take replicates pooled
from a very large population (50 plants each in 3 replicates) as mentioned
below: if that removes some variability inherent to each plant, so be it.
Isn't the goal to study the variable of interest masking the irrelevant
variables (at least in that study)?  How would this make statistical testing
invalid?

I wonder if in either case it is any different or worse than the
normalization schemes and assumptions used in many of the currently used
popular analysis or summary schemes?

Suresh

(Suresh Gopalan, Ph.D)