[BioC] affy & problems with not enough avaliable memory

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Tue Jan 17 01:16:16 CET 2006

Hi Nick,

I'm having some deja vu:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioconductor/2006-January/011471.html

On 15 Jan 2006, nicholas-ettinger at uiowa.edu wrote:
> I have 16 Affy Hg-U133-plus-2 CEL files that I am trying to analyze.
> I am having difficulties generating expression data because of
> memory problems.  I am working on a Dell desktop running WinXP.

How much RAM is installed on your system?  As Jim previously
commented, purchasing more RAM may be the easiest way to get going.

> What can I do?  Do I have to normalize all 16 arrays at once?  Is it
> still valid to do them piecemeal?  My gut says no.

The currently available procedures are intended to normalize a set of
arrays all at once.  Trust your gut.

We have in the works a normalization routine that will work in limited
memory environments, but it isn't available yet.

+ seth