[BioC] adjustment for dependent hypotheses when pairwise testing

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Sat Jan 14 22:32:49 CET 2006

Actually I don't think the number of genes is a problem.  Neither BH nor BY use an estimate of pi0
(the true proportion of hull hypotheses).  Whenever pi0 would appear as a multiplier in the
formulae, they use 1 instead.  The methods are therefore somewhat conservative if pi0 is not
large, but they continue to control the FDR at below the requested level.

This means that BY gives rigorous control of expected FDR for any dependence structure and any
number of genes, given only that the p-value distribution is valid under the null hypothesis.  BH
is the same except that it is theoretically valid only for certain dependence structures (positive
regression dependence).

I think that Rebecca's question is about the particular (negative) dependence structure which is
found between the set of pairwise contrasts for a particular gene.  Yes, I think this does
theoretically invalidate BH.  However in practical situations you'll actually find the main
problem to be conserativism rather than the other way around because there are more pairwise
comparisons than there are independent comparisons to be made.  So, personally, this wouldn't make
me move to BY.

Hope this helps
Gordon