[BioC] affy & problems with memory

Kevin Coombes krc at wotan.mdacc.tmc.edu
Wed Jan 11 15:43:52 CET 2006

The maximum number of hgu133plus2 arrays that can be processed using
expresso-like tools in R on a 32-bit Windows machine is about 30.

The maximum number of hgu95a arrays that can be processed using
expresso-like tools in R on a 32-bit Windows machine is about 90.

The rough computation is simple: each hgu133plus 2 array contains 1164*1164
= 1,354,896 probes. Allowing at least 10 bytes to store the probe intenisty
as a double precision float, the probe-level data for one array requires
about 13.5 MB. Thus, 30 arrays requires at least 400 MB just to store the
probe level data. Because R implements pass-by-value rather than
pass-by-reference (and because BioConductor has followed the usual good
programming practice of writing and reusing modular functions), you can
easily get as many as 3 copies of this data structure floating around in
memory at the same time, putting us at the 1.2 GB level. This doesn't
include any additional overhead for other parts of the AffyBatch structure
or the amount of space needed to store the code objects, and anything else
in your current session.

Now, a 32-bit machine is limited to adressing 4GB of RAM, but as far as I
can tell, Windows won't let a single program see more than 2GB, so you can
begin to see why expresso can't handle more than about 30 of these arrays
at once.

The specialized functions like justrma get around this problem by passing
control over to routines written in C, which presimably use
pass-by-reference to avoid making extra copies of the data.

  -- Kevin

--On Wednesday, January 11, 2006 10:30 AM +0100 Benjamin Otto