[BioC] GO in Bioconductor

Ting-Yuan Liu tliu at fhcrc.org
Thu Jan 5 18:40:11 CET 2006

Hi Kaustubh,

If you are using specific gene chips that BioC builds the annotation
package for them, you can do the following instead of going to NCBI
website.

For example, if you are using Affymetrix Human Genome U95 Set Gene Chip,
the annotation package hgu95av2 is designed for it.

Suppose that you are interested in the GOID of the following gene names:
"tubulin, beta 3", "POU domain, class 2, transcription factor 2", and "BTG
family, member 2".  Then first you have to figure out which probe set ids
in this chip are associated with these three gene names.  Do the
following:

library(hgu95av2)
geneName <- c("tubulin, beta 3", "POU domain, class 2, transcription
factor 2", "BTG family, member 2")
geneNameAll <- unlist(as.list(hgu95av2GENENAME))
geneIndex <- match(geneName, geneNameAll)
probeSetIds <-names(geneNameAll[geneIndex])

Then the next step is to find out the GOIDs for these probeSetIds by using
hgu95av2GO:

mget(probeSetIds, hgu95av2GO)

If you are not using specific gene chip with annotation package
available, you have to get the GOIDs from NCBI website as John suggested.

HTH,
Ting-Yuan
Ting-Yuan Liu
Program in Computational Biology